Thursday, May 6, 2010

EVOC

I passed EVOC! One big hurdle down. Evoc is the driving portion of the police academy. It was intense but I killed it. There is a written and three driving tests. You get four attempts at each driving event and I passed on the first go around :) We had to do skids, braking, and a cone course. For skids we had to get up speed and drive through a pad that had tons of sprinklers and then they locked the back brakes to induces skids and we had to recover. To pass you had to recover 8/10 skids. I got all 8 without skidding out once. For the brake portion you had a very short "runway" to get up to 35 miles per hour, then once you were THREE feet from the orange cones a red light would come on, you had to SLAM on the brakes like your life dependened on it, steer to the left around the cones and pull it back in and park in a parking spot. It was something straight out of a movie! I can now be a stunt driver ;) The cone course (which failed two people) was an insane obstacle course that had parking, backing down switch backs, figure eights, and all that junk. You had to do it between 2:45 and 3:45 minutes and you couldn't hit a single cone. I did it in about 3:15 and was the first one to pass (because I was the second person to go on each event). We lost one of our own yesterday from Metro :( He couldn't get the cone course down. It was a sad ride home. Two additional people failed the written so the class is slowly getting smaller. Monday we start firearms. I'm WAY more nervous for that then I was for EVOC. We did a lot more at EVOC but I have to get to class so I'll write about that later.

MY HUBBY COMES HOME TODAY. He'll be home when I get home from class. Ana and I are SUPER excited!!!!

P.S. My spell checker is snoozing right now, so please excuse the mistakes. Thanks she says.